After having worked more than 20 years in fashion as a spin yarn consultant for labels such as Giorgio Armani and Donna Karan and for her family company, in 2002 Rossana Orlandi decided to transfer her passion for design as a private collector into an innovative gallery, a platform where to showcase her personal idea of design and lifestyle. Since then, Rossana Orlandi has become synonymous of talent scouting and discovering of emerging protagonists in the design system, promoting extreme and pragmatic visions clustered in a unique setting.
Ro Plastic Prize
In 2019 Rossana Orlandi launched the 1st edition of Ro Plastic Prize to challenge and inspire the design community to think differently about how our things are made. The best projects have been presented as finalists at Rossana Orlandi Gallery during the Fuorisalone of the 2019 Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan. In 2020, a new edition of the Prize has been launched.
2. Criteria of participation
The call is open to graduates holding a University degree or equivalent study in design, business or management or about to graduate by October 2020, or proven work experience in these fields.
Participation is individual – group submissions are not allowed.
3. How to participate
Participation in the call is free.
The business proposal must contain:
- Title and subtitle
- 100/200-word abstract
- 50/100-word description of the specific issue (among those related to the employment of recyclable plastics or alternatives to plastics) addressed in the proposal
- 100/150-word description of the solution or strategy proposed to cope with the addressed issue
- 50/100-word description of the specific value (either for the business or the end user of both) of the proposed solution or strategy
- 50/100-word description of how the strategy should be implemented and what kind of player (e.g. what kind of firm) can implement it. In specific, create a communication plan to focus this new way to produce Design, to sensitize the Circular Economy concept in the fields of Design.
All the documentation must be written in English.
Candidates can add pictures to any section of their written work to visually illustrate their proposal.
No identification elements of the candidate must appear on the submitted documents, which will feature only the name of the project.
These files must be uploaded in one single PDF.
The name of the candidate, together with his or her contact information and the title of the business proposal must be included in the personal statement.
Furthermore, in order to verify their eligibility for the designated Master Course, applicants are required to upload:
- Copy of the university degree or other equivalent three years course;
- Copy of University Transcript or equivalent (+ English translation if needed)
- Passport scan
- Signed Personal Statement
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
The official language of the call is English.
- April 15th, 2020> Deadline for submission of registration and for submission of the creative project.
- April 20th, 2020> Meeting of the jury composed of professionals for evaluation of applications and assignments
- Starting from April 27th, 2020> Notification of the winner
5. Academic Committee
The Committee is composed of renowned Italian and international design professionals, as well as Istituto Marangoni representatives:
- Massimo Zanatta – School Director of Istituto Marangoni • The Milano School of Design
- Sergio Nava – Director of Education of Istituto Marangoni • The Milano School of Design
6. Evaluation criteria
- Consistency with the objective
- Innovative proposal
- Validity of the proposal from a strategic point of view
- Overall quality
- Capacity of synthesis and clarity in the exposure of the idea
The winner of the call will be awarded a 50% scholarship on the tuition fee (enrolment fee is due) for the Master Design Management that will be held at the School of Design of Istituto Marangoni in Milan, starting in October 2020.
8. Results and publication
At the end of the selection made by the Jury, the winner of the call will be announced via e-mail and telephone. The final project and the final news might be published on Istituto Marangoni website. The selected participant for the scholarship shall confirm his/her interest in the scholarship within 5 working days, after that time the scholarship will be considered as expired and will be reattributed.
9. Rights and use of the delivered outputs
Participants agree to transfer to Istituto Marangoni, Via Pietro Verri 4, Milano 20121, (vat number it 10542860969) the right to use the project, the right to use any output delivered for the participation to the international call for ideas “From Heritage to Contemporary Design”, as well as all the materials connected to the projects and delivered. Istituto Marangoni reserves the right to commercial use or publication or free exposure of the projects received, in the form and manner deemed most appropriate: the participants shall also authorize Istituto Marangoni to use the documents received for promotional purposes and in the manner deemed most appropriate. The participants, joining the international call for “Business Proposal for Plastic Sustainability” declare that the promoters of the initiative cannot be subject to any claim resulting from such use. In any case, the participants agree to relieve the promoters from any liability toward third parties.
Participants agree to the following rules on intellectual property rights and industrial property rights in relation to the projects delivered to the promoters of the call.
• They guarantee and ensure that the outputs are their original work and have not been entirely nor partially copied or substantially from any other work, source or material and that, as to their knowledge, they do not infringe any copyright of any third party;
• In the case of a copyright or other intellectual property carried out in their outputs or whether a part of it belongs to a third party, they guarantee and ensure that they have requested the permission and/or authorization to transfer to Istituto Marangoni that output, and that in any case, they undertake to relieve Istituto Marangoni from any liability for the use of material that is developed, designed and/or produced by third parties.
By participating in the call, the participants agree to absolve and indemnify the promoters from any negative consequence resulting from the infringement of the rules provided by article 11 and, more generally, from any negative consequence resulting from the use of the projects.
12. Information on the treatment of personal data
Personal data collected as a result of the participation to the call will be used for the following purposes: execution of the operations of the call and for the thereto related purposes: the processing of personal data will be executed using manual, electronic and telematics tools closely related to the purposes for which they were provided; they could be disseminated through websites and social networks connected to Istituto Marangoni. In case of refusal to provide the requested data in order to participate in the call, the application form will be rejected or the potential participant excluded. In case of refusal to provide the data, as indicated, in order to transfer the advertising material, there will be no consequences. Personal data collected as a result of the call participation will be registered in the Istituto Marangoni database, holder of the treatment.
People to whom the data collected as a result of the participation to the call refer to are considered the holders of the related rights, among them, the confirmation of the existence of their personal data and their provision in an intelligible form, the cancellation, the transformation into anonymous form, or blocking of data processed unlawfully, as well as the updating, rectification, integration and to oppose the treatment for any legitimate reason. By participating in the call, the participants give their consent to the aforementioned treatment of data.
13. Consent to the use of personal data
Participants authorize Istituto Marangoni to use their personal data and their image, as well as to take videos, photos, registrations and to consign their image through third parties and with any tools, video, photo and television and the activity related to the call. They grant to Istituto Marangoni the right of use the said “material” in the context of the publishing products directed by Istituto Marangoni and in the context of the institutional website and social networks.
14. Applicable law and jurisdiction
The Italian law will govern the call and the relations between the participants. Any dispute that may arise between the promoters and the participants will be of exclusive jurisdiction of the Court of Milan.