MA Product & Furniture Design
Sustainable beauty · Product and Furniture Pieces made of recycled or recyclable materials or suitable for the circular economy • International call for ideas
Sustainability is pushing users and producers alike to find a new balance between the employment of materials and the production needs. Designers can help to develop more sustainable solutions with projects that make an efficient use of recycled or recyclable which is also aesthetically consistent, or by suggesting items made out of modular parts that can be replaced over time and give back to the producer within a circular process which keeps the item perpetually new (or updated) and sustainable.
Participants are invited to design e product or a furniture element focused either on the efficient employment of recycled or recyclable materials, or on "agile" solutions (e.g. modular) suitable for the circular economy. Besides, projects have to combine aesthetics and function consistently.
2. Criteria of participation
The call is open to graduates of degree courses in product and industrial design or architecture already holding a bachelor degree (3 years) or about to graduate by October 2020 or to professionals with relevant experience in the field and with a creative portfolio in line with the areas of product and industrial design, or interior design and architecture.
Participation is individual – group submissions are not allowed.
3. How to participate
Participation in the call is free.
For further info on how to submit your application, please contact: email@example.com
Two digital documents (PDF):
- In the first one, you will include your reference research and write your own interpretation of the issue, also describing the design goal that you want to achieve through your project (max 100 words overall);
- In the second one, you will show your project through drawings and/or model photos and/or 3D renderings. At least one small, basic technical drawing with dimensions is mandatory.
These 2 files must be uploaded in one single PDF.
- Copy of the University Degree or other equivalent three years course;
- Copy of University Transcript or equivalent
- Passport scan
- Signed Personal Statement
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
The official language of the call is English. Descriptions in Italian will also be accepted.
- April 15th, 2020: Deadline for submission of the portfolio work and all additional documents listed. Applications received after this deadline or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- April 20th, 2020: Meeting of the Assessment Panel to select the successful applicant.
- April 27th, 2020: Notification of the applicant selected for the Scholarship
The jury is composed of renowned Italian and international designer and journalists, as well as Istituto Marangoni representatives:
- Giulio Cappellini – Architect, Designer and Art Director • Cappellini (President)
- Massimo Zanatta – School Director of Istituto Marangoni • The School of Design
6. Evaluation criteria
- Consistency with the objective
- Innovative proposal
- Validity of the solution from an aesthetic and functional point of view
- Overall quality
- Capacity of synthesis and clarity in the exposure of the concept
The winner of the call will be awarded a 50% scholarship from Istituto Marangoni that covers the tuition fee and Cappellini will contribute with an additional 50% scholarship, that will amount to a total of 100% deduction on the tuition fee (enrolment fee is due) for the Product & Furniture Design Master’s Course that will be held at the School of Design of the Istituto Marangoni in Milan starting from October 2020.
8. Results and publication
At the end of the selection made by the Jury, the winner of the call will be announced via e-mail and telephone. The final project and the final news will be published on Istituto Marangoni website. The selected participant for the scholarship shall confirm his/her interest in the scholarship within 7 days, after that time the scholarship will be considered as expired and will be reattributed.
9. Rights and use of the delivered outputs
Participants agree to transfer to the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l., in Milan, Via Verri 4 (Tax Number 09447270159) the right to use the project and the product that will be, where applicable, implemented as a consequence of the project, the right to use any output delivered for the participation to the international call for ideas “Circular Economy Essential furnitures designed with recycled and recyclable materials”, as well as all the materials connected to the projects and delivered, including the drawing of the project, the sketches, the samples, the models, the tests and the video and photo materials. Istituto Marangoni reserves the right to commercial use or publication or free exposure of the projects received, in the form and manner deemed most appropriate: the participants shall also authorize the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. to use the documents received for promotional purposes and in the manner deemed most appropriate. The participants, joining the international call for ideas “Circular Economy Essential furnitures designed with recycled and recyclable materials” declare that the promoters of the initiative cannot be subject to any claim resulting from such use. In any case, the participants agree to relieve the promoters from any liability toward third parties.
Participants agree to the following rules on intellectual property rights and industrial property rights in relation to the projects delivered to the promoters of the call.
• They guarantee and ensure that the outputs are their original work and have not been entirely nor partially copied or substantially from any other work, source or material and that, as to their knowledge, they do not infringe any copyright of any third party;
• In the case of a copyright or other intellectual property carried out in their outputs or whether a part of it belongs to a third party, they guarantee and ensure that they have requested the permission and/or authorisation to transfer to the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. that output, and that in any case, they undertake to relieve the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. from any liability for the use of material as of paragraph a) that is developed, designed and/or produced by third parties.
By participating in the call, the designers agree to absolve and indemnify the promoters for many negative consequence resulting from the infringement of the rules provided by article 11 and, more generally, from any negative consequence resulting from the use of the projects.
12. Information on the treatment of personal data
Personal data collected as a result of the participation to the call will be used for the following purposes: execution of the operations of the call and for the thereto related purposes: the processing of personal data will be executed using manual, electronic and telematics tools closely related to the purposes for which they were provided; they could be disseminated through websites and social networks connected to Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. In case of refusal to provide the requested data in order to participate in the call, the application form will be rejected or the potential participant excluded. In case of refusal to provide the data, as indicated, in order to transfer the advertising material, there will be no consequences. Personal data collected as a result of the call participation will be registered in the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. database, holder of the treatment.
People to whom the data collected as a result of the participation to the call refer to are considered the holders,pursuant to article 7 of the Legislative Decree 196/2003, of the related rights, among them, the confirmation of the existence of their personal data and their provision in an intelligible form, the cancellation, the transformation into anonymous form,or blocking of data processed unlawfully, as well as the updating, rectification, integration and to oppose the treatment for any legitimate reason. By participating in the call, the participants give their consent to the aforementioned treatment of data.
13. Consent to the use of personal data
Participants authorise the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. to use their personal data and their image, as well as to take videos, photos, registrations and to consign their image through third parties and with any tools, video, photo and television and the activity related to the call. They grant to the Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. the right of use the said “material” in the context of the publishing products directed by Istituto Marangoni S.r.l. and in the context of the institutional website and social networks.
14. Applicable law and jurisdiction
The Italian law will govern the call and the relations between the participants. Any dispute that may arise between the promoters and the participants will be of exclusive jurisdiction of the Court of Milan.
15. Exemption from the ministerial validation
Pursuant to the article 6, D.P.R. 430, dated 26/10/2001, this call is not a prize competition or lottery: as a result, no ministerial authorization is needed.